UpSideDownCarl 's wrong racket advice Re:Beginner requiring help in selecting between Killerspin Jet 200 vs 800

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Lucie
City & State: Edmonton,AB
My blade: Boer 5
Forehand Rubber: 729 FX
Backhand Rubber: DHS C8
Playing Style: All round
Grip: Shakehand

UpSideDownCarl 's wrong racket advice Re:Beginner requiring help in selecting between Killerspin Jet 200 vs 800

Post by Lucie »

JFearH wrote: on Monday June 3 at 6:18 PM #2
Hello Folks.
I am new to this forum and the primarily reason I created this account is so I can get opinion of experts. I enjoy playing Table Tennis any opportunity I get. I am a beginner, and I am willing to take my game to the next level. I cannot afford coaching right now so the best I can do is play with the best and try to improve my game. I am a defensive as well as attacking player. I will defend good serves but will attack not so good ones. Additionally, I do side spin and top spin on all my serves as well. For the last few years, I have been playing with a Kung Fu Dx paddle. Recently I had opportunity to try Killerspin Jet 800 and Killerspin Jet 200 against an opponent that does insane side spin. When I played with Jet 200, I was able to return all his side spins; however, when I played with Jet 800, I was able to return only a few serves as others landed several feet away from table. With my little knowledge of table tennis, this tells me that I may have a flaw in my technique if I cannot handle Jet 800.

Now my question is if I should get Jet 200 in which I will remain in my comfort zone since it may be masking my flaws, or should I get the Jet 800 and learn to control the ball more? I realize I may lose more games initially until I get the hang of it. What is better for me in long run? Please recommend which paddle I should get?
In reply ,
UpSideDownCarl wrote: on Tuesday June 4 2:18 PM #2
You should not get either. Get something like this:

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
Rubber: Xiom Vega Pro (FH)
Rubber: Xiom Vega Europe (BH)

That setup would be much better. The blade is good and more than fast enough. The rubbers will allow you to spin the ball and not be too reactive to incoming spin. That is a good setup to start learning how to counter spin better.

Without seeing footage of you playing the person you are referring to, it is hard to tell if he was giving you serves of the same quality when you were using each racket. But one thing we can say is, if with one racket the ball was going off to one side or the other and not landing on the table, then you would do well to learn how to counter sidespin.
This answer is so wrong in so many levels but I won't get into the details.

But to make the long story short, aspiring newcomers to the formal sport of competitive table tennis should not be using dumb rackets
Click here for more information about Dumb vs Smart rackets and Coaching Malpractice