Tacky Long / Medium Pips

To discuss topics relevant mostly to new to internediate players. Ask for advice about tabletennis equipment, playing style advice , strategies etc.
Bishop Cardinal
State and City: Vatican
My blade: Stuor Long 5
Forehand Rubber: 729 Friendship Battle 3
Backhand Rubber: Schmerz
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Tacky Long / Medium Pips

Post by Bishop Cardinal »

Rollko wrote on 05/19/2022 at 4:10pm (in red below)
Hi all,
Do you know any tacky long/medium pips? I'm looking for some deception on the BH but also to maintain the spin producing capabilities especially when serving etc.
Thank you

I don't think tacky (or sticky) pips exist because the manufacturer will have to make the top & sides of the pips sticky like an inverted rubbers but I am not sure if this had been done.
It would be interesting however to see a manufacturer submit such a rubber for approval & ITTF will quickly call meeting of the ITTF Executive council & ban it LOL
Of course a player is not allowed to treat their pips on their own. Only spinny inverted rubber players are allowed to their rubber with boosting LOL
Anyway, so what you are asking is a grippy long pips that produces lot of backspin (spin reversal) like Feint Long Classic did in the 38 mm ball era. No such rubber exists in the plastic ball era.
For a rubber to be most grippy, the top of the pips have to rough to provide high friction such as with Feint Long. Yet most players seem to be under the wrong impression that frictionless long pips type rubbers such as Tibhar Grass Dtec etc which have smoother pip top, can provide more spin reversal. While other 7 or so pip design parameters can be manipulated to increase back spin capability that you are asking for, rougher pip top is the most important parameters to increase back spin & increased control. But maximum control is not the primary goal of frictionless type rubbers like Tibhar Dtec,. Their goal is primarily increased disruption & deception but I am not saying these rubbers cannot any spin reversal. Just that they provide (by design) less spin & less control
I used to use KTL Stranger discussed in this forum earlier today thread but based on a recommendation from a friend I have moved on to a much better rubber suitable for the plastic ball
Bishop Cardinal
State and City: Vatican
My blade: Stuor Long 5
Forehand Rubber: 729 Friendship Battle 3
Backhand Rubber: Schmerz
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re: Tacky Long / Medium Pips

Post by Bishop Cardinal »

Rollko wrote on 05/19/2022 at 4:10pm (in red below)
Hi all,
Do you know any tacky long/medium pips? I'm looking for some deception on the BH but also to maintain the spin producing capabilities especially when serving etc.
Thank you

Another important point

Tacky rubbers means rubber grips the ball more, which means that it will have less deception not high deception. Butterfly Feint Long 1 which was used by almost all the top choppers before it was banned in 1998 is mot grippy long pips ( not tacky the way you imply it ....there is no sticky or tacky long pips unless it is illegally treated). Due to its being grippy, it also had the most control and least deception because the pip tops are rough (but there are 7 or 8 pip design parameters that control deception, grippyness, control, speed, spin etc but in Feint Long's case the rough pip top parameter is the most dominant)

Even experienced pips players have a totally wrong idea of which rubber produces more back spin (spin reversal) and which has more deception.
Spin reversal and deception are sort of mutually exclusive. Tibhar Grass Dtec does not produce lot of back spin but does produce some back spin but nowhere close to what Feint Long 3 can. Tibhar Grass Dtec also has high disruption due to mostly pip top being relatively smooth compared to Feint Long 3
On the flip side Butterfly Feint Long has low disruption ( high control) due mostly to pip tops being rough but Feint Long produces more back spin than Tibhar Grass Dtec.

So you are essentially asking for a rubber with deception like Tibhar Grass Dtec but spin reversal like Feint Long 3. Such a rubber does not exist other than in manufacturer advertisements which claim each one of their rubbers can do it all LOL

But I highly recommend Magic 77 High AR super long pips. It does not have much deception but produces tons of backspin (spin reversal) compared to Feint Long 3 . Essentially ALL the rubbers on ITTF LARC are garbage in the 40= plastic ball era. You can also attack well Magic 77. This is the best all around rubber I have used EVER though I prefer a more spinny Magic 77 with rougher pip tops meaning also more control.