State and City: Domaine-Saint-Augustin, Quebec
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Different confusing versions of Curl P1

Post by Oliver Archambaeu »

I see so many different confusing versions of Victas Curl P1 , TSP Curl P1 etc .
Can someone clarify this ?
Betsy
State and City: Red Gale
My blade: Friendship 729 V6
Forehand Rubber: DHS Hurricane 9
Backhand Rubber: Yinhe Mercury 3

Re: Different confusing versions of Curl P1

Post by Betsy »

Oliver Archambaeu wrote: July 16th, 2022, 5:05 am I see so many different confusing versions of Victas Curl P1 , TSP Curl P1 etc .
Can someone clarify this ?
There is no such rubber as Victas Curl P1. If you look at the package for Victas Curl P1V , it will show just P1 in very large letters but P1V on the top right in very small letters. This is somewhat deceptive advertising to make buyers believe that Victas Curl P1 is the same as TSP Curl P1 but they are not.

The company TSP which is one of the oldest companies , as I understand it , was acquired by Victas.

TSP Curl P1 was the first original version of Curl P1 . It was made by TSP & had an Aspect Ratio of 1.3.
After 1998, TSP Curl P1 was removed from ITTF approved list.
So TSP released a version called TSP Curl P1R (may be meant revised) but it had an aspect ratio of 1.1 or less because 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre reduced the maximum allowed aspect ratio for pips out rubbers from 1.3 down to 1.1

Victas Curl P1V is the new brand name for TSP Curl P1R. They are the same rubbers. However you will see deceptive claims from many sellers that Victas P1V is the same as "Original" TSP Curl. This is only partly true because while Victas Curl P1V is the same as TSP Curl P1R (which is the original). But they want everyone to think Victas Curl P1V is the same as Curl P1 by making the cover lettering P1 as large. But neither TSP Curl P1R nor Victa Curl P1V (both with an Aspect Ratio of 1.1) are the same as original TSP Curl P1 which had an Aspect Ratio of 1.3
Sin Spin
State and City: Reggio Calabria
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:

Re: Different confusing versions of Curl P1

Post by Sin Spin »

TSP Curl P1 was the excuse used by ITTF in pass the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction MAssacre Regulation

ITTF stated that millions of players were microwaving their TSP Curl P1 and reducing the just Aspect Ratio from 1.3 to 1.1 would solve this deception & "kink" problem. "Kink" was the exact word used by ITTF not me

But the problem was

1. Aspect ratio Ratio is just one of about 6 or 7 pip design parameters. You can modify other parameters to retain or even increase deception. This is exactly what Dr.Neubauer did after 1998 but before 2008 (when a furious & frustrated ITTF passed the frictionless ban regulation)

2. ITTF claimed that most choppers used P1 Curl but the fact was that almost no top chopper used P1 Curl . They all used Butterfly Feint Long NOT because it was more decptive than P1 Curl (it was not). They all chose Feint Long because it was most controllable & least deceptive rubber available. For a period after 1998 some top choppers did use Curl P1R (nOt p1) but that mostly due to desperation after Feint Long 2 being useless after 2000 (the 40 ball).

3. Noe of the above two factors were important because the REAL reason for Aspect Ratio Regulation was not technical (as realted to TSP Curl) but it was more about two equioment dealers Scholer & Dr.Neubauer