Re:Short pimples on the backhand - block?

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Odila
State and City: Fürstenfeldbruck, Baveria
My blade: Giant Dragon V/C-6L
Forehand Rubber: DHS Hurricane Neo
Backhand Rubber: 729 Friendship 755
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re:Short pimples on the backhand - block?

Post by Odila »

TheUnexpectedGuest wrote on July 31, 2022 in GermanTTTNews forum

Hello,

the backhand has always been my problem and I've actually been looking for the right rubber for years (decades). Up until last season I had very good results with a played Sriver because I was able to push and block relatively safely - but also quite harmlessly, which is why I dared to take the step of dealing with short pimples for the first time.

I started testing with a Speedy Soft. Unfortunately, I have little control with it and after 2 training sessions I decided to try the Degu (1.8; wood TSP Fusion Off). This works quite well now, especially when my opponent hits fast topspins, I can block with quite a bit of pressure - accepting serves (my biggest shortcoming) also works quite well.

The only (but unfortunately big) problem are opposing topspins, which come relatively slowly (or high). So I really don't know what to do with it. The blocks either go into the net or back much too harmlessly for the opponent. Are there any tips on what to do here or would other short pimples be even better suited here?

Thanks in advance.

TuG

Wrong question. You don't use short pimples as a weakside rubber.

Short pimples has a very limited scope. Though theoretically the best rubber in tabletennis, short pips is used by just one top shakehand player even on the strong side (forehand ) (Mattias Falck). That should tell you something.
Short pips may also be useful as a strong side (forehand usually) rubber for some older players who either
1. have some physical limitations due to age & can no longer loop
2. picked up the sport at a later age (not youth) and never learned to loop.

There are lots of penholders mostly in China who start playing from a young age using short pips & they may be good at that style but that is a different story. Point is hort pips is not a viable forehand rubber for a shakehander based on statistacal probabilities based on above historical data.
And it goes without saying that short pips is far worse for a shakehander as a weakside rubber.

Short pimples is the worst rubber of all 5 rubber types for a player's weakside (usually backhand for 95% to 99% humans in any racket sport)

Why ? Click here for more details

So unless you are a backhand looper, the only functionally useful weakside (backhand) rubber in the current 40+ plastic ball ONLY era is the high aspect ratio super long pips It is not anti, it is not medium pips and it is not ant long pips listed on ITTF LARC . This applies to you whether you are a close to the table block & smash type player on yoru weakside or if you are an away from the table chopper. You should find the appropriate high aspect ratio super long pips , blockig style or chopping style

Good luck to you