Up spin Down spin back spin under spin top spin over spin WTH ?

To discuss topics relevant mostly to new to internediate players. Ask for advice about tabletennis equipment, playing style advice , strategies etc.
Kelleen
State and City: Pittsburgh
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Up spin Down spin back spin under spin top spin over spin WTH ?

Post by Kelleen »

Up spin
Down spin
Back spin
Under spin
Top spin
Over spin

Parallel side spin
Vertical side spin
corkscrew spin

What do all these terms mean ?
zeia
State and City: Kota Kinabalu
My blade: KTL Instinct+
Forehand Rubber: Three Sword Red Dragon
Backhand Rubber: Palio CK531A
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re: Up spin Down spin back spin under spin top spin over spin WTH ?

Post by zeia »

Kelleen wrote: July 29th, 2023, 3:13 am Up spin
Down spin
Back spin
Under spin
Top spin
Over spin

Parallel side spin
Vertical side spin
corkscrew spin

What do all these terms mean ?
Back spin is same as Under spin (Also known as plus Z axis spin)
Top spin is same as Over spin (Also known as plus Z axis spin)

Parallel side spin > The ball is spinning left or right on a plane parallel to the ground . Also knownas X axis spin
Vertical side spin is same as corkscrew spin in which the ball is spinning clockwise or counter clockwise in a plane vertical to the ground Also knownas Y axis spin

You can read more on spins & side spins at an excellent webpage I saw on the web

Up spin is same as top spin but is European non- English language country usage based on the fact that racket is moving upwards when contacted on the back of the ball (up spin can also be produced if you can contact the front of the ball facing the reciver & racket moving down but this is rare & that is why up spin is top spin)

Down spin is same as back spin but is European non- English language country usage based on the fact that racket is moving downwards when contacted on the back of the ball (down spin can also be produced if you can contact the front of the ball facing the reciver & racket moving up but this is possible such as in servex but otherwise rare & that is why down spin is back spin)