Flimsy cloth net (& post) assembies

This forum respects the rights of ITTF Worship forums,who generally ban posts that are critical of IOC or ITTF. You are welcome to post them here if you have saved them
James Z
State and City: Rottweil
My blade: Custom jPen
Forehand Rubber: Yasaka Mark V
Backhand Rubber: Magic 77
Playing Style: Modern Defender (Loop & chop)
Grip: jPen / kPen ( Japanese / Korean penhold)

Flimsy cloth net (& post) assembies

Post by James Z »

suds79 wrote: August 02, 2023 at 5:07 PM #1
I run our local small week club here in the states. One of the biggest rackets in all of table tennis are flimsy net post caps that break or fall out of the posts and you have to buy a completely new new post set for around $70 give or take up or down depending on what you're looking for.
I had the very exact problem. when I ran a club for many years & helped run many clubs before that for many many years.

My solution because of above issue & other technical reasons related to the sports is entirely different.
Which is to entirely do away with net assemblies with many stupid parts like caps you mentioned.

All nets should be made of sturdy materials like aluminum or some composite materials.
No more adjusting & fiddling with net height.
The net would be just dropped into a holding assembly permanently attached to the sides
Or it can be permanently attached & even folding the table won't effect the net.
When you are done with playing just fold the table & roll it away with the net still permanently attached
When ready to play again all you need to do is unfold the two halves.
No more BS fiddling with the net.
You said you do some CAD. Why not do a design or even try a 3d printer output.
I think ITTF should permanently do away with clothe nets altogether. The net could be an electronic or AI net showing scores as well as commercial advertisements.

Why I hate the clothe nets ?
It is the net dribbles & the point ending with no way for even top 5 pros being able to get to it.
The top of the net should be designed in such a way that the ball would have some minimum bounce & would never dribble over but would land few feet on the side if receiver.
ITTF keeps whining about lengthening rallies & dribbled ball are the worst from this perspective.

I also would like to see tabletennis do away with lets on net serves. I think that is stupid because an edge serve (otherwise good) is not a let but a net serve is a let. Why ?
Th big problem I have is with players cheating. I don't know about others but I have encountered a few cheats who would call your best serves a let at deuce when the ball no way touched the net.
Last edited by James Z on August 12th, 2023, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Z

Re: Flimsy clothe net (& post) assembies

Post by James Z »

Today I accidentally ran into a design where the net does not get removed
However I would still prefer a non-clothe net
Click here to go to manufacturer web page
Attachments
tt table net intact 1.jpg
tt table net intact 1.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
tt table net intact big pi..jpg
tt table net intact big pi..jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
James Z

Re: Flimsy cloth net (& post) assembies

Post by James Z »

Here is a picture of a composite material net
I am not saying this is a best for prolonging rallies or preventing net dribbles etc & I have seen many many designs but my point is that they all are sure better than flimsy clothe nets
Last edited by James Z on August 12th, 2023, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Z

Re: Flimsy cloth net (& post) assembies

Post by James Z »

And if you look in this section , it demonstrates how easy it can be (and should be) to set up & take down tabletennis tables at places like community centers & clubs without having to use flimsy clothe nets