What exactly are spoosters and spin glues ​

Highly technical & extremely controversial topics. Not for the faint of heart
James Z
State and City: Rottweil
My blade: Custom jPen
Forehand Rubber: Yasaka Mark V
Backhand Rubber: Magic 77
Playing Style: Modern Defender (Loop & chop)
Grip: jPen / kPen ( Japanese / Korean penhold)

What exactly are spoosters and spin glues ​

Post by James Z »

spooster = spin + booster

"Spin glue" is the correct phrase & not "speed glue"

Speed is increased significantly when a rubber is spoosted or spin glued. Control is also increased for a pro or advanced player.
But for lower levels there could be some or significant loss of control
However top spin is what is increased the most according to a respected University professor in Croatia who was also table tennis coach & author
Last edited by James Z on August 27th, 2023, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Z

Re: What exactly are spoosters and spin glues ​

Post by James Z »

Backspin can also increase but is the most difficult to control . the primary purpose of spoosting or spin gluing is not to increase backspin (there is no known top player that I know of, spoosted or spin glued to increase back spin)

A regular loop can involve both the arm & wrist.

But for a close to the table play, the chop is almost all wrist. I have tested trying to chop using a spooster or spin glued rubber but though there was more spin, the balls kept shooting off the far end as this requires perfect training & timing.

It would be even more harder to control a chop executed away from the table loop using a spoosted or spin glued spinverted rubber but would be interesting to try that using am anti rubber with dead top sheet & lively spoosted sponge
James Z

Re: What exactly are spoosters and spin glues ​

Post by James Z »

On his way to winning the 1995 World Championships Kong Ling Hui faced Peter Karlsson who is notoriously weak against the chop. . He chopped from at the table & the spin glued chops were so spinny that a frustrated Peter Karlsson kept dumping balls to the bottom of the net. Compare this to Peter Karlsson's rare win against a chopper when he beat chopper Wang Hao (not the looper Wang Hao who came later) in the 1993 World Team Finals.

Tibor Klampar , who supposedly invented spin glued (but some say Surbek did but I am not sure but does not matter) put an insane amount of spin even on his backhand loop with very little arm and seemingly all arm, his strokes were perfectly timed with perfect technique every time. (Waldner writes in his book that Klampar would have beaten him in the 1989 quarter finals that Waldner won for the first time, but Waldner was saved by his serves)as he says