Will USATT CEO Viginia Sung play a challenge match against US Champion Lily Zhang ?

Discussions about professional players or other high level amateurs probably using wrong rubbers blades etc and why.
Ken Nyatola
State and City: Coeur d'Alene,Idaho
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Will USATT CEO Viginia Sung play a challenge match against US Champion Lily Zhang ?

Post by Ken Nyatola »

Below is a video of current USATT CEO Virginia Sung playing 6 time USA National Champion Lily Zhang in 2019

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=450548862430040
You may need to be logged into Facebook or I got only first part part of video if not logged into Facebook

One of my acquiantances who had beaten her two staright in 1994 back in the day when when she waa on the USA team, said that David Sakai always initiated the expedite rule on her & if I am not mistaken she may have beaten 2600+ Sean Lonergan in her heyday

Virginia Sung still looks good despite a lower "Looper Torture Index" using the Feint Long 3 , which is, like almost all long pips on ITTF LARC is almost totally useless piece of crap in the 40+ plastic ball era.
Nuan Yan Zhoue
State and City: Zhengzhou,Henan
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:

Re: Will USATT CEO Viginia Sung play a challenge match against US Champion Lily Zhang ?

Post by Nuan Yan Zhoue »

She may not beat Lily Zhang but one has to wonder how well she can do against Lily Zhang with Virginia Sung using High Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips such as Magic 77 & with Lily Zhang using a 1.7 mm rubber, which provides a close to a level & fair playing field.
Cheng Meng
State and City: Zhoukou, Henan
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:

Re: Will USATT CEO Viginia Sung play a challenge match against US Champion Lily Zhang ?

Post by Cheng Meng »

There is another US chopper called Angela Guan who is the national intercollegiate champion
i would like to see a challenge match between Angela Guan using a high aspect ratio super long pips and Lily Zhang using a 1.7 mm sponge
Buterfly Tamasu
State and City: Bucovăț
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:

Post by Buterfly Tamasu »

I think Lily Zhang will win both matches against (Virginia Sung & Angela Guan) because if she plays smart like David Sakai she would expedite them and win. The rules of course always favor the looper but this case should be acceptable from scheduling standpoint.

On the other hand though, I am not sure if the top 6 players on July 2022 ranking list, Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Wang Yidi, Mima Ito & Hina Hayata can beat Han Ying even if they expedited her, in a level playing field, if Han Ying used a high Aspect Ratio Super Long pips and the above 6 players used 1.7 mm sponge.

On the men's side where the bigger problem lies, all the men choppers should move up 10 to 20 places in a level playing field where the maximum allowed sponge thickness is 1.7 mm & with choppers being able to use high aspect ratio super long pips.

I am by no means suggesting that 50% of players should be choppers or even pips and anti players. What I do have a problem is ITTF making change of after change expressly designed to exterminate choppers & pips / ant styles and spin(e)less cowards & honorary loopers doing nothing about it.
Mehriban2
State and City: Mingachevir
My blade: DHS Fan Bo Carbon ALC CPH
Forehand Rubber: Globe Magic Wand
Backhand Rubber: Bomb HAMMER Tension

Post by Mehriban2 »

Virginia Sung is a chopper using useless Feint Long 3 & probably using an even mor euseless a semi large defensive blade
What she needs is a high aspect ratio super long pips rubber of chopping type (none seems to be available at the moment. Closest is Magic 77).
She also needs a custom made super large blade since no such production blades are available.
These two changes will somewhat level the playing field (never completely since loopers use illegal spoosters & spin glues & also use a sponge thickness that is unfairly high. But ITTF will never REALLY ban spoosting and spin gluing or limit sponge thickness to 1.8 mm to level the playing field but lot mor eimportantly to lengthen the rallies instead of third ball comedy of errors to promote spectator interest) . The playing field had been sebverely tilted by the robotNazi controlled ITTF with the 9 rule and regulation changses since 1983 designed partially or fully to exterminate choppers)