Re: I’ve decided on Seemiller Grip: any tips?

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Shalom Alstein
State and City: Haifa
My blade: 729 F-2
Forehand Rubber: Globe 999
Backhand Rubber: Giant Dragon Talon OX
Playing Style: All round
Grip: Shakehand

Re: I’ve decided on Seemiller Grip: any tips?

Post by Shalom Alstein »

Sardius wrote:10 Sep 2023, 16:51

I’ve decided to play with a Seemiller grip. !
And the reason is ?
There were many right answers posted to this mpstly wrong question in another TT group
Sardius wrote:10 Sep 2023, 16:51
I have coaching for the first time. !
Your coach agrees with you on this ?

A grip is not something you can change overnight. It is ok to experiment but you have to look at Danny & Eric. Danny & his family deevloped this grip from n early age as basement players but Eric chose consiously because he was not a basement player (his father Tim was a high level player & his older brother Scott was also a US National Champion but played shakehand two winged hitting style with short pips like his dad.Tim once beat famous World Singles Champion Fernc Sido in a tournament). Tim, the USATT historian has his won interesting story. He completely quit table tenni for a long like time like 10 or 20 years I think & came back just in time to help his two sons become champions in their youth. Unfortunately he also voted for ITTF's the 2 color rule (I think) and defnitely for the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre when he was on the ITTF executive council. I wish he would repent now (of course Rev. Larry will NEVER EVER repent or apologize when he makes mistakes because it is a sign of weakness in his warped mind) because Tim's voteat Durban in 1998 was sort of the deciding vote because the regulation, which failed to pass at 1995 Tianjin BGM, passed by the closest possible vote such as like 19-17 or 21-19 or something.

A grip is also something you are born with and cursed with or blessed with. Yes one sided grips such as penhold & Seemiller are better than two sided grips fro various reasons. But most shakehanders cannot play penhold or American grip (but more penhodlers or American grip players can play decent shakehand). Of course hybrid grip is the best if you can pull it off but I have never seen any except that Danny I think switched to shakehand when he was forced to back away & chop.