Re: Blade Structural Design Question

This forum respects the rights of ITTF Worship forums,who generally ban posts that are critical of IOC or ITTF. You are welcome to post them here if you have saved them
Diegoz
State and City: Vancouver, B.C.
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: All round Short pips Block and smash
Grip: cPen (Chinese Penhold)

Post by Diegoz »

StillTT wrote:on Thursday November 30 9:56pm
Today, a blade is made out of a core and plies. Its core and the plies are cut from wood blocks and veneers that are roughly 260mm x 160mm.

For years I have been wondering about a blade that would feature the usual core out of a block of those dimensions with plies that cover the playing surface only.

The idea of course is to save a bunch sourcing materials and cutting 160mmx160mm venneers and composite plies. The handles halves will adapt and compensate the depression. A thicker core can avoid too much flex.

For all veneers and composite plies, we save about 40% material and it seems huge to me! I can't imagine the core snapping on a strong loop kill.

It would be totally legal but am I missing something structurally wise? Is it worth exploring?
You may need to go back to high school & take some basic botany classes.

There is a limit to the width of how big a log block from a tree can be.
For example go look for balsa sheets 8 inch( 203 mm) wide. Let me know if you find any.
I was told that they do not come that wide. They told be they can send me two pieces of 4 inch sheets combined (they use the word laminated) together for an 8 inch wide sheet. You can get lengths as long as 48 inches (4 feet) but not mor ethan 4 inch of a single Balsa sheet.

Of course you can get some other other wood sheets wider than 8 inches but no sure how much wider. This is limited by the width of the trunk or main branches of a tree
Jeff Reyreap
State and City: Bozeman, Montana
My blade: Avalox Tosios
Forehand Rubber: Globe 999T
Backhand Rubber: TTMaster Insider
Playing Style: All round loop & block
Grip: Shakehand

Post by Jeff Reyreap »

If you can get cuts from large tree trunks, you can cut blades as shown in icture below to reduce some costs
tree cut for blades.jpg
tree cut for blades.jpg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 542 times