Re: FH Chop - to use or not to use

This forum respects the rights of ITTF Worship forums,who generally ban posts that are critical of IOC or ITTF. You are welcome to post them here if you have saved them
Synthia
State and City: Leeds
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: All round chop and lob
Grip: Shakehand

Post by Synthia »

notfound123 wrote: on Saturday 03 Febtruary 2024, 05:35

This is probably my last attempt to create any sort of dialogue, as the forum has been pretty dead for quite some time.
LOL
All other forurms especially are the same, especially OOAK Forum & MyTableTennsiNet

Even German forums are dead.
spin booster
State and City: Codrington
My blade: Yasaka Leopard
Forehand Rubber: Buttterfly Sriver
Backhand Rubber: Yasaka Mark V
Playing Style: Two Wing Looper
Grip: Shakehand

Post by spin booster »

This forum (iocTT.com) is the best forum in table tennis.
Uncensored but also with state of the art AI filtered for spam (You will see zero spam in this forum) .
The technical content of this forum is also far superiors to any other table tennis forum.
I have been a memebr almost an year now
James Z
State and City: Rottweil
My blade: Custom jPen
Forehand Rubber: Yasaka Mark V
Backhand Rubber: Magic 77
Playing Style: Modern Defender (Loop & chop)
Grip: jPen / kPen ( Japanese / Korean penhold)

Post by James Z »

notfound123 wrote:
on Saturday February 03 2024, 05:35
If you have been watching Ma Te play, he actually does this a lot: he chops two wings with some opponents and then does not FH chop even once with others. I cannot figure out for the life of me what makes him decide one vs the other
That is easy. It is mostly a strategic decision based on the strengths & weaknesses of the opponent against your own strengths.
Watch Ma Te's videos against many oppoennts. I doubt he will loop a lot against say Ma Long & Fan Zhendong but Ma Te may loop a lot more against a weaker player. This is because of the severe limitations of the long pips on ITTF LARC which are totally useless in the 40+ plastic ball era & Ma Long probably pins down Ma Te with his loops. The long pips on ITTF LARC are so pathetic that loopers can even loop using their backhand. This would hardly happen in the 38 mm ball era

For example , I use Magic 77 on one side (mostly backhand) which has the heaviest backspin against spinny incoming loops. On other side (mostly forehand) I have used Yinhe Mercury 2 almost as long as it existed. Most European & Japanese rubbers like Dignics etc are like anti compared to Mercury 2 (in my hands) when it comes to top spin ability. Still when I chop with Mercury it against incoming loops the spin level is usually very low compared to my super chops (super heavy back spin) using Magic 77.
So if I chop a few with Magic 77 & twiddle & chop with Mercury, my opponent usually almost always shoots the loop long because he or she has been setup with my super heavy backspin from Magic 77.
I can do the opposite also (two or three chops with Mercury, then twiddle and chop with Magic 77). In this case my opponenr will dump the their return to the bottom of the net on their side if it can make it that far LOL. But this is harder for me to. But I am still practising .
Last edited by James Z on February 3rd, 2024, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Z

Post by James Z »

notfound123 wrote: on Saturday February 03 2024, 05:35
When playing MATCHES vs high-level players, I do have a hard time deciding when to play my normal "Gionis" style vs chopping both sides with occasional FH attacks (think of Yuto Muramatsu)
If you are out of position, it is usually harder to chop with a higher consistency level. This is true of any stroke but it is all the more true with chopping whick requires a higher level athleticism. If you are a looper , you can just throw your racket there with your inverted rubber & the rubber usually does all the work for you & skill is optional.
Of course I do it & everyone else does it & there is no sahme in that.
But if you are in a position, you should always chop because it increases the looper torture index & as a chopper , this is what you want.
Of course for an amatuer it is harder to be in position most of time than not. If you can you probably are a pro or high level player. LOL

In fact if you are playing a chopper, the most recommended placement is to aim your kill shot towards near the elbow of a chopper. Because this is the indecison point for any shakehand player , let alone a chopper (this is known as the shakehander disease)

Then again , this is what makes Joo Saehyuk the REAL GOAT of all of table tennis. If you hit towards his elbow, he will pull his body out of the way quickly & still execute a perfect forehand chop. Almost as ridiculous to watch a human do it because if you watch a cat fall from the top of a tree, it will always rotate its body & make a perfect landing just walk away LOL
James Z

Post by James Z »

pgpg wrote: Saturday, 03 February 2024, 06:44
Well, then - I do have somewhat similar (or not?) dilemma. I find my infamous 'no spin' FH chop to be super effective in practice: everyone sends it long, because despite my very serious arm motion, ball is basically dead on return. :rofl
I have addressed your dilemma in my reply to Notfound123 above
And yet I never use it in matches.
Why not ? I think it is a big mistake not using it.
In fact if my forehand is not very versatile for looping with a wide variety of counter loops & side spin loops as well as heavy spin serves using inverted, I would be using short pips with sponge on my forehand.
Because my forehand chop would be even more dead compared to my backhand super chop using MAgic 77
That does not answer your question though. Perhaps Ma Te or similar folks do know who has trouble with heavy backspin on FH and who does not
I answered it in my reply above to Notfound123