USA elimination with a disqualifying loss at Busan WTTTC explained

USA & Canada
Sayenn
State and City: Edmonton,AB
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: All round loop & block
Grip: jPen / kPen ( Japanese / Korean penhold)

USA elimination with a disqualifying loss at Busan WTTTC explained

Post by Sayenn »

There was some confusion about this at the World Team Championships 2024 at Busan, South Korea
Below is my take on this issue

USA was eliminated from progressing to final single elimination draw because Jishan Liang of USA was penalized for some glue or booster violation.
My understanding is that Jishan beat Aidos in the actual match but was disqualified after the match when ITTF racket control tested the racket AFTER the match & found violations & Jishan was disqualified in that match as having a loss.

See attachment below. Because of defaulted loss it looks like Sid Naresh either defaulted to Alan in the final match or ITTF did not allow the final match between Alan & Sid to happen because they found Jishan's violation while the fourth match between Kril & Nikhil was in progress.

This resulted in a 3 way tie between England, USA & Kazakhstan & USA was out in some tie breaker.
End result was that England & Kazakhstan advanced to final draw

Not to say anything bad about Kazakhstan because even if Jishan's win stood, it was still 2-2 and we don't know if Sid would have won the match (Unless I am mistaken & the final match between Sid & Alan did take place & Sid won but ITTF listed the match as unplayed ..........this I do not know)

Anyway the bottomline is that USA did not advance to final draw & therefore did not qualify for the men's event in Olympics.
However not all teams in the final draw of 24 teams advanced. Looks like you needed to win 1 or 2 more ties in the final draw before you qualified
Attachments
USA Busan default.jpg
USA Busan default.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Lee 1998
State and City: Cheonan
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: Two Wing Looper
Grip: Shakehand

Re: USA elimination with a disqualifying loss at Busan WTTTC explained

Post by Lee 1998 »

Jishan's disqualification seems identical to Kim Taek Soo's after match disqualification agaisnnt Wang Tao.
The disqualification was due to alleged speed glue violation by Kim Taek Soo which was discoverd by testing Kim's racket but only AFTER the match
Kim Taek Soo beat Top Seed Wang Tao 3-0 in the quarter finals of the in the individual Singles event at 1995 World Championships are Yianjin m China
Rogere
State and City: Westboro, MA
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: All round Short pips Block and smash

Post by Rogere »

Lee 1998 wrote: March 25th, 2024, 3:20 am Jishan's disqualification seems identical to Kim Taek Soo's after match disqualification agaisnnt Wang Tao.
The disqualification was due to alleged speed glue violation by Kim Taek Soo which was discoverd by testing Kim's racket but only AFTER the match
Kim Taek Soo beat Top Seed Wang Tao 3-0 in the quarter finals of the in the individual Singles event at 1995 World Championships are Yianjin m China
Is it because this 1995 event was in China and China used a power play & tried to push Wang Tao up by disqualifying Kim Taek Soo ?
Spinny Mike
State and City: Hamilton, ON
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: Two Wing Looper

Post by Spinny Mike »

Rogere wrote: March 25th, 2024, 4:12 am
Lee 1998 wrote: March 25th, 2024, 3:20 am Jishan's disqualification seems identical to Kim Taek Soo's after match disqualification agaisnnt Wang Tao.
Is it because this 1995 event was in China and China used a power play & tried to push Wang Tao up by disqualifying Kim Taek Soo ?
I don't think so. I doubt is CNT had anything to do with Kim Taek Soo disqualification.

But I do think Wang Tao was aksed to dump to Liu Guo Liang in the semi-finals because the optics did not look like you said.
And I also think Ding Song dumped to the eventual winner Kong Ling Hui because Liu Guo Liang was asked to dump to Kong Ling Hui in the finals because Liu Guo Liang came from Wang Tao half & Wang Tao actially lost to Kim Tak Soo in the actula match.

From what I saw of the 1995 finals , it seemed like a total farce & an exhibition match with each player winning 2 games before Liu Guo Liang dumped the final game.