Re: Playing pips both sides - and using Seemiller Re: I'm coming over to the dark side!

This forum respects the rights of ITTF Worship forums,who generally ban posts that are critical of IOC or ITTF. You are welcome to post them here if you have saved them
Dolok
City & State: Victoria,BC
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: All round loop & block
Grip: American (Seemiller)

Re: Playing pips both sides - and using Seemiller Re: I'm coming over to the dark side!

Post by Dolok »

glennholder wrote: on Thursday 30 May 2024, 13:16
Friends!
I'm enjoying my new set-up!
TSP Spectol Red Short pips 1.7mm sponge
Dawei 388 C-1 Medium Pips .5mm sponge
With a cheap Chinese ALL Blade
Instead of TSP Spectol you can also try many inexpensive Chinese short pips that behave the same way.
Also you will find many short pips that has max sponge thickness of 2.2 mm
I would recomemnd stuff like Dawei 388-B-1, DHS 874 etc
388C-1is a shorter medium pips
I have used it but as a forehand rubber & is not a bad rubber but is not a secondary rubber especially on an American grip racket.

You want a an OX type (no sponge) blocking type longer medium pips (so called long pips on ITTF LARC) as your secondary rubber.
388D (not 388-D-1) is a very good bloxking type longer medium pips.

While speed is important for your short pips, it is still less important compared to maximum spin contrast between the two rubbers you use on your racket.
Click here to read the topic that explains in full detail what spin contrast is

So it is ok to have a fast short pips on one side but you do NOT want a shorter medium pips like 338C-1 on other side because the spin contrast between a short pips & shorter medium pips i svery low.

That is why you a want a longer mediium pips such as 388D or Giant Dragon brand Dragon Talon etc
glennholder wrote: on Thursday 30 May 2024, 13:16
BUT...I'm new at medium pips. Any advice on how to use them?
Thanks!
Not really.
When you joined OOAK forum in 2010 you said the following

glennholder wrote: on 11 December 2010, 14:18
Hi friends, I have spied on your forum for a month, and just joined today! It is a much better forum than another I had joined. You guys know your stuff!

So.....I ordered my first ever pips out rubber yesterday. Milky Way Pluto. It will take 10 days to arrive. I read a 4 page topic in this forum on the rubber, I will analyze it deeply, and break it into a few usable approaches to start with the rubber.

After reading, I think that MP is a good place for me to start. I want to block, chop and hit. I'm going to be unusual, because my FH is where I will mostly use the MP. I hit well with my backhand, and use a grippy Coppa 1.1. I'm 53 years old, and have a nagging long term pain behind my shoulder blade on my hitting arm. I took a year off, and the problem came back. I don't play at that high of a level, so I want to avoid full arm topspin swinging with my FH because of the injury. I also prefer to play mid distance, so LP defence does not appeal. My strength is control, mixed with chops and a decent BH smash. I have learned to mid distance counter hit.

Question: if Pluto is not what suits me, what pips rubber model would you gentlemen recommend? I'm playing with a DEF+ blade.
I guess you forgot ?
Because Pluto is a shorter medium pips

Oh by the way which type of American grip are you using ? Seemiller or Eric Boggan or Shapiro etc
Click here to read the topic that explains in detail what American grip is

Anyway best of luck
anushaya
City & State: Sambalpur, Odisha
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Post by anushaya »

Click this link that shows all rubbers listed on current ITTF LARC (April-June 2024)

The short pips & shorter medium pips are listed at very bottom of the list in blue

Cheers