Is short pips any good in modern table tennis ?

Highly technical & extremely controversial topics. Not for the faint of heart
ipl modi
State and City: Duke
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Is short pips any good in modern table tennis ?

Post by ipl modi »

I hear confusing recommendations about the use of short pips rubbers in modern table tennis

Are they suitable for use in 2023 ?
Élodie Cotillard
State and City: Angers Vaillante Roanne
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:

Re: Is short pips any good in modern table tennis ?

Post by Élodie Cotillard »

95% No 5% Yes

Even at the pro level there is currently only 1 player Mattias Falck who uses short pips on the forehand.

Though short pips is theoretically the best rubber there is, you also have to be the most talented to be able to use it because, since you need to take every ball at its highest point & you need the best reflexes as well as feel for the ball & most humans honestly don't.

On the weakside ( usually backhand for most humans) , short pips is utterly useless & long pips is far superior. Why ? There are too many technical reasons that even some advanced players do not comprehend because these players fall for persuasive marketing gimmicks by manufacturers to sell short pips. And if you back off from the table & play at mid distance even a little bit and take the ball after its highest point, you are basically useless. And from longer distances, short pips is a complete joke though myth exists that you can chop well with short pips & even better than long pips

So, other than the very very few talented tabletennis athletes who can use short pips on forehand, there are also some older players who are better of using short pips on their strong side (usually forehand). These are the older players who are new to the sport & never learned to loop when young or older players who have various physical limitations that prevents them from looping. But again keep in mind that none of these players should still use short pips on their weakside (usually backhand). The one & only useful weakside(usually backhand) rubber for older players is blocking type long pips. It definitely is NOT short pips. And it is not anti or spinny inverted or medium pips or chopping type long pips either.
Gennady
State and City: St.Petersburg
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:

Re:Is short pips any good in modern table tennis ?

Post by Gennady »

Ask yourself this
How many shakehanders are there either pro or amateur that even use short pips on their strong side (usually forehand)

Then it will give you an idea as to why short pips is pure garabage on the weakside (usually backhand)

However short pips is theoretically best forehand rubber

https://rusupakten.ru/obshhie-svedeniya/