Older player > hardbat / sandpaper advice

To discuss topics relevant mostly to new to internediate players. Ask for advice about tabletennis equipment, playing style advice , strategies etc.
Freda ct4
State and City: Encarnacion
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Older player > hardbat / sandpaper advice

Post by Freda ct4 »

My uncle is 60. He is not sure what racket he should use.
Some of his friends in USA tell him he should use hardbat or sandpaaper
Currently he uses a racket with spinny inverted both sides but he does not spin the ball but just hits and blocks
He cannot move much & stays close to the table.

Is hardbat good for his style ?
Maren Nodi
State and City: GSL TT
My blade: GKI Euro Jumbo
Forehand Rubber: Stag Peter Karlsson
Backhand Rubber: DHS Cloud and Fog 3
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re: Older player > hardbat / sandpaper advice

Post by Maren Nodi »

If he cannot spin the ball, using spinny inverted is a huge laibility because since spinny inverted is the most popular rubber among younger palyers & in tabletennis overal, everyone knows how to play against spinny inverted. And therefore if you are looping (heavy top spinning) like mad, spinny inverted is of no use to you.

On the other hand, you cannot compete using hardbat in the sponge world. it is like brininging a knife to a gun fight..

The best racket for his style is with short pips with sponge on forehand & for backhand, a blocking type high aspectratio super long pips OX (no sponge) such as Avalox Mo or Mo Wang 3 & some of those new Indonesian rubbers. (Do not use sponeg on long pips side)

He can start with a thin sponge like 1.3 mm or 1.5 mm for short pips (on forehand) and stick with it if he likes it & can move on thicker sponge like 1.8mm to 2.2 mm if he can still control & wants a little spin capability & speed for flat kills.