State and City: Birpur, J&K
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Why you should never warmup with opponents before a match in table tennis

Post by Devalekha »

As you may know 90% table tennis players cannot be trusted because they are either robotNazis or spin(e)less cowards or honorary loopers.

It is better not to warmup with your opponent during a match.

There is a crazy myth that the rule says it is mandatory to warmup with your opponent for AT LEAST 2 minutes, But in fact the rule only says the MAXIMUM warmup time allowed is 2 minutes NOT minimum

Over the years i had at least 5 opponents insist that I warmup with using my long pips side. This is a joke.
In fact I had a doubles partner who fell for this nonsense and she kept warming up with an opponent for more than 1o minutes & this opponent kept asking for more warmup. Of course I refused to warmup & during the whole time my partner was warming her up, this women kept begging me to warm up with her using my long pips. It got so bad that her own partner (her embarrassed husband intervened on or behalf & asked to stop the nonsense).
I was very unhappy with my partner but did not care that much because we knew we were going to win easy.

I am not at all required to warmup with my opponent before a match. It is strictly optional.
If you want to warmup it is better to warmup with someone else (who is not going to e your opponent) & if you can, find a player with same playing style & racket (though it is hard mot of the time.

If my opponent asks me to warmup I politely decline using the excuse that I am too old & conserving my energy & I am lucky if I can even play the match.

Most of these robotNazis will never play you & carefully avoid you during regular club practices. But all of a sudden in a tournament they expect you to train them to beat you in a 10 minute warmup before a match. Still if they lose, their excuse is that you only won because your long pips & how they get to practice enough in their club practice sessions. How ridiculous is that.

If you are naive & stupid & believe that most tabletennis players are nice, then go ahead & waste your time warming this player using your long pips side.
J R Singh
State and City: Chandigarh
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re: Never warmup with opponents before a match

Post by J R Singh »

I use smooth rubber only & don't use long pimples but I have noticed this also.
I am weak against long pimples but have gotten better because I try to practice against them as much as possible in club sessions.
I know many players who avoid practising againt long pimple players but then only complain at tournaments.