Carbon blade for long pips

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
James Z
State and City: Rottweil
My blade: Custom jPen
Forehand Rubber: Yasaka Mark V
Backhand Rubber: Magic 77
Playing Style: Modern Defender (Loop & chop)
Grip: jPen / kPen ( Japanese / Korean penhold)

Carbon blade for long pips

Post by James Z »

pdxpong wrote: Apr 6, 2022 #1
This may be a silly question but I've never played with pips before and would like to try chopping with long pips. I have many blades but they are all carbon offensive blades. I would prefer not to buy a new blade for the long pips as it's just experimental. Is chopping with long pips doable with a carbon blade? It seems like most choppers use slower all wood blades.

Also, of the current blades that I have which do you think would be the best to use for chopping with long pips?

-Timo Boll ALC
-Viscaria
-Xiom AZX
-Tibhar Kinetic Speed
-Stiga Dynasty Carbon
-DHS HL5
-Viscaria Super ALC
-Zhang Jike SZLC

Thanks for your input
The problem with your question is that you assume that you can use carbon layer on the long pips side of a chopping blade.
You cannot.

There exists no commerical blades for a chopper in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era. You need too make a custom blade with asymmetric layer composition. If you want carbon on the non chopping side , that is fine but that should be isolated from the chopping layers as far away as possible such as with a 10 mm or balsa core.

Ricospin made a correct response to your post (post #2 in this thread) where he explains higher dwell time needed to maximize the back spin to create the best loooer torture index.
Last edited by James Z on November 22nd, 2023, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Estelle 2
State and City: Argenteuil
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: Chop blocker
Grip: Shakehand

Re: Carbon blade for long pips

Post by Estelle 2 »

Another important factor is that you need a large blade (not a semi large blade that claims to be large blade. The blade should eb at least 170 mm by 170 mm (height & width) . Ideally 172 mm width by 175 mm height.

So you need a custom made asymmetric large or super large blade if you want to be chopper in the 40+ plastic ball only era.

Stop throwing your money at useless expensive blades thinking that more expensive blades will solve your requirements