Re:Chopping with short pips on both sides of racket - AllenCorn

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Lexie J
State and City: Chalon-sur-Saône
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re:Chopping with short pips on both sides of racket - AllenCorn

Post by Lexie J »

AllenCorn wrote: on Christmas Eve 24 December 2023, 02:55
With the popularity of chopping with short pips, I was curious if anyone chops with short pips on both sides of the racket. With the advent of several types of spinny pips, in theory I would think there would be some success chopping with pips on both sides. Good opportunities for spin variation and good ability to attack, but I have never heard of this set-up. Anyone know of such a thing? Is it worth exploring?
No. Absolutely NOT.
While short pips (with sponge) is still theoretically tge best rubber in table tennis, that is only in pure theory.
Short pips is strictly a forehand rubber with a very limited scope for the most talented. How many players other than Mattias Falck do you know at pro level that use short pips on forehand ? Johnny Huand is also one in a billion (shakehander with short pips attacks both sides). And yes there had been few world champions penholders with forehand short pips like Zhuang Zedong & Liu Guoliang or legends like He Zhewen but the probablity of sucess for a shakehand mateur is near zero. I have seen quite a few older penhold forehand short pips hitters from China but that is because they grew up playing that all their lives.
Spinny Mike
State and City: Hamilton, ON
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: Two Wing Looper
Grip: Shakehand

Re:Chopping with short pips on both sides of racket - ITTF Disinformation campaign

Post by Spinny Mike »

Short pips for chopping (on backhand) is a result of aggressive disinformation campaign by ITTF to push anti & short pips rubber as an alternative to long pips. This started with Eberhard Scholer who hates log pips. This is another great strategy by ITTF to limit the use of long pips in addition to their ongoing oppression of long pips with 9 rule and regulation changes since 1983 to severely limit long pips defenders, both chopping & blocking type.
spin booster
State and City: Codrington
My blade: Yasaka Leopard
Forehand Rubber: Buttterfly Sriver
Backhand Rubber: Yasaka Mark V
Playing Style: Two Wing Looper
Grip: Shakehand

Shouldn't Johnny Huang switch to super long pips on his backhand

Post by spin booster »

I have seen Johnny Huang play in person & analyzed his on videos extensively.
I got to see Ding Yi & Johnny Huang (both short pips) pratice in their prime flat hitting the ball at each other at insane speeds. It was some sight I will never forget.
That said , now that Johnny Huang is older I am surprised he had not switched to blocking type super long pips on his backhand. The sport has gotten faster & since he is older this may be the only way that he can control his oppoennts at his age.
Ding Yi slowed down consderably . Of course He Zhiwen was an amazing exception that he lasted so long into his fifties
Hector 5
State and City: Puerto Cortés
My blade: Butterfly Gergley
Forehand Rubber: Sriver
Backhand Rubber: Mark V
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re: Re:Chopping with short pips on both sides of racket - AllenCorn

Post by Hector 5 »

AllenCorn wrote: on Christmas Eve 24 December 2023, 02:55
With the popularity of chopping with short pips, I was curious if anyone chops with short pips on both sides of the racket. With the advent of several types of spinny pips, in theory I would think there would be some success chopping with pips on both sides. Good opportunities for spin variation and good ability to attack, but I have never heard of this set-up. Anyone know of such a thing? Is it worth exploring?
To understand why it is the worst idea, please visit the post below
Spin continuum, Spin contrast and Spin Dynamics