Re: classic defense outside the table (using anti rubber) .........Post by terso

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Miriama
State and City: Bay of Plenty
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: All round
Grip: Shakehand

Re: classic defense outside the table (using anti rubber) .........Post by terso

Post by Miriama »

terso wrote: on 22 December 2023, 09:05
I would like to know an anti-top rubber to play off the table, with a classic defense style that has good anti-spin performance, if possible.
Thanks.
There are none.
Most players are clueless about the purose of various rubbers in table tennis & the chronology of arrival various types of rubbers upon the table tennis scene

Antis arrived in tabletennis for choppers (around 60s I believe) after spinny inverted as an answer to deal with the loops by spinny inverted loopers.
Spinny inverted rubbers arrived before antis but after hardbat (short pips)

However the reason long pips were introduced in mid 1970s was as a better answer to loopers than antis.

Unfortunately even the long pips currently listed on ITTF LARC are completely outdated & useless now due to the 9 rule & regulation changes by the ITTF since 1983 to severely limit defenders (both choppers & blockers)

Only rubbers therefore that will work for chopping (& also for close to the table blocking) away from the table are high aspect ratio high pip density super (length) long pips .

But of course ITTF does not want anyone know about super long pips & why. Of course manufacturers exploit all this with marketing gimmicks claiming that they have magic solutions with new antis & short pips. But if do not understand the chronology of arrival of various rubber types or the operational mechanics of various rubber types , you will continue to believe that short pips & anti useful backhand rubbers.
Miriama
State and City: Bay of Plenty
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: All round
Grip: Shakehand

Rob M confused as usual . What else is new

Post by Miriama »

Rob M wrote: on 22 December 2023, 16:22 I know a guy who chops with Butterfly Super Anti, he uses it for classical defense. He's rated USATT 2000-2100. He regularly beats the younger 2200-2300 players who aren't used to consistent chop returns.
That in no way proves that anti is the best rubber for away from the table for everyone.
In fact there is more than 90% even this mystery player probably be playing his best if he used super long pips instead of anti .

Simply because a player is successful despite his or her mistake in choice of equipment in no way implies that they are playing at their highest potential. I can give you 100s of such players even at Pro level
perean
State and City: Mandeville*
My blade: Boer Offensive Hybrid Carbon
Forehand Rubber: DHS Hurricane 9
Backhand Rubber: RITC 729-3 Transcend
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

What is Iskandar Taib trying to say ?

Post by perean »

Iskandar Taib wrote: Is there ANYONE among the Internationals who chops with anti? Thinking real hard.. The only world-ranked anti player I can think of is.. what's her name - Amelie Solja (Her sister Petrissa seems to have disappeared off the rankings, incidentally..). Currently #124. And she's more of a blocker.
Iskandar
Amelia is nowhere close to an away from the table chopper.
I don't even know why you mentioned her.

If you have not understood why anti or short pips are not chopping rubbers, you are beyond help