Please stop using the derogatory phrase "ping pong"

To discuss topics relevant mostly to new to internediate players. Ask for advice about tabletennis equipment, playing style advice , strategies etc.
Darla Crompton 7
State and City: Dunfermine
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Please stop using the derogatory phrase "ping pong"

Post by Darla Crompton 7 »

The problem with the usage of the phrase "ping pong" in North America is that , (despite PingPong Diplomacy and all that silly nonsense as if it is going to convert millions of North Americans into serious tabletennis players) , the phrase only diminishes a sport into a silly basement game played in North American basements.
A big problem is that this phrase is used also in the far easy like in China, Korea or Japan act though they are the countries most dedicated to this sport. But when they keep referring to the sport as ping pong it only reinforces the negative stigma.

In fact I am not even sure if one is allowed to refer to tabletennis as pingpong because pingpong is a trademark owned by Parker Brothers...Ha Ha I am joking because I don't if trademarks expire after a certain period.

Anyway if you think I am crazy then so was Sweden's Lollo Hammerlund , a former president of ITTF, who is known to have hated the use of the phrase "pingpong" to refer to tabletennis

So if you want to sound clueless or insist on diminishing a sport to a game or to intentionally ridicule it, by all means go ahead and use the phrase pingpong to refer to tabletennis
Anne Marie
State and City: Helsingborg
My blade:
Forehand Rubber:
Backhand Rubber:
Playing Style: -
Grip: -

Re: Please stop using the derogatory phrase "ping pong"

Post by Anne Marie »

https://www.svenskbordtennis.com/forbundet/

The Swedish Table Tennis Association (SBTF) was formed in 1926 and its first chairman is Ceve Linde. At the first meeting, several important decisions were made, including that the sport should be called table tennis instead of ping pong.

At the first meeting, 36 associations were registered. Today, SBTF has almost 500 associations divided into 16 districts.