Re: What rubber and blade to pick for modern spin defense with short pips?

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Johannsen
City & State: Gränna
My blade: DHS Dipper
Forehand Rubber: Globe 999 T
Backhand Rubber: Dawei Guai Jiao Huang
Playing Style: All round loop & block
Grip: Shakehand

Re: What rubber and blade to pick for modern spin defense with short pips?

Post by Johannsen »

Emonk wrote: on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 #1
hey,

so i am interested to invest some time and training to try out modern defense with short pips.
Wanting to be a modern defemder seems to be a fantasy for some.
It is like women being attracted to bad boys
How do you even know you have the athletic skills to be a modern defender especially in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era ?

Anyway short pips is NOT a chopping rubber or a backhand rubber.
Click here to read details as to why

Emonk wrote: on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 #1
I just wanted to know what you think of a Koji Matsushita Defense and victas short pips d3.
Currently there are no production blades for a modern defender/
You need an oversized asymmetric blade if you are a modern defender
All blades like Matsushita are smei large symmetric baldes claiming to be oversized blades
You need to make yourselves a custom blade

The closest blades are some Dr.Neubauer blades & Hallmark blades.
There may be some new ones from DMS, Spin Lord or S&T (All German or Austrian I think)
I like Hallmark combination Ultra but this is a midsize asymmetric blade from 38 mm ball era
Not the best for 40+ plastic ball era but a hood start

Don't use short pips for modern defence.
You need long pips. But since ITTF banned long pips in 1998 you can start with any medium pips deceptively listed as long pips on ITTF LARC

If you are OK using non ITTF approved rubbers, you can use Magic 77 available on Ali Express.
Magic 77 is not a chopping rubebr but this is far better for chopping than any ITTF pips
Don't use short pips (like Victas D3). Short pips for (backhand chopping) is a foolish delusional pipe draam for almost all amateur players