Re: (Don't) Transition to wide pimples (on your backhand (ONLY))

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Rafaelo
City & State: San Sebastián
My blade: Globe 589
Forehand Rubber: DHS Gold Arc 9
Backhand Rubber: 729 755 Mystery
Playing Style: Loop & block
Grip: Shakehand

Post by Rafaelo »

Mederos wrote:on Saturday, August, 03, 2024 at 11:33 AM #1
Since I started playing table tennis, I have been learning the technique with normal rubbers.
No. You have been probably learning learning ONLY top spin technques suitable for using spinverted rubbers.
Top spin is only a third of many ways to play table tennis.
Back spin & no spin are the othe rtwo.
ITTF has brainwashed its coaches to brainwash their students into believing that top spin is the only prpoer way to satrt playing table tennis.
with normal rubbers.
Your claim that spinveted rubbers are "normal" is very disrespecful to players who use other rubber types.
Since I started playing table tennis, I have been learning the technique with normal rubbers. However, I have decided to try the Speedy Soft XD short pimples rubber (2.0 sponge thickness) on the backhand, because I am a player who always looks for his forehand and I intend to use it more on the backhand.
Wide pimples (incorrectly referred to as "out" by ITTF LARC & as "short" by players) is the worst rubber for your backhand.
Take a look at the wbepage below as to why

Click here to read why wide pips are the worst weakside rubber
The thing is that I find it difficult to understand how to push the ball and I need some tips to change the technique from a normal rubber to a short pimples one.
This is exactly the BIGGEST problem with wide pips. Because wide pips is NOT a pushing rubber. Wide pips are best forehand rubber for block & smash style play. Backhand pushing using shakehand grip is one of the worst strokes & immediately puts you at a disadvantage. If I played you, I will serve very short heavy backspin to your backhand wide pips & loop the hell out of your weak push using short pips. As a variation I would serve long dead balls to your backhand wide pips & attack your weak returns.
In other words you are toast if you are an amateur player who deludes themself that you can play like Johnny Huand or Wang Tao on your backhand. You can't . Don't be seduced by manufacturers.
Just use no sponge (OX) non ITTF slim pimples on your backhand or at worst start with useless iTTF-LARC slim pips with sponge.or medium pips.
If you are an amateur player who cannot loop on the backhand (I mean really loop) powerfully & consistently , slim pips are your only salvation for your backhand .
Karnchana
City & State: Koh Lanta
My blade: Xi Enting Tiger 560
Forehand Rubber: Dawei 388B-1
Backhand Rubber: Sword Scylla Pro
Playing Style: Wide pips Block and smash
Grip: jPen (Japanese Penhold) TPG (Traditional Penhold)

Post by Karnchana »

This is VERY true.
I use wide pimples on my jpen forehand.
Wide pimples is strcitly forehand rubber.
It is the worst backhand rubber.
But go ahead feel free to waste your time indulging in crazy fantasies