Re: Seeking Advice on Equipment Upgrade (in TTDaily , the wrong forum to seek equipment advice, especially backhand)

Most discussion forums (especially table tennis) are full of posters asking the wrong question based on totally false premises or lack of knowledge about the issue at hand etc. This sub-forum is dedicated to identifying such questions & useless & usually hilarious answers in various tableetnnis forums & also shows what the right answer should have been
Johannsen
City & State: Gränna
My blade: DHS Dipper
Forehand Rubber: Globe 999 T
Backhand Rubber: Dawei Guai Jiao Huang
Playing Style: All round loop & block
Grip: Shakehand

Re: Seeking Advice on Equipment Upgrade (in TTDaily , the wrong forum to seek equipment advice, especially backhand)

Post by Johannsen »

kadenais wrote: on Thursday May 30 at 10:57 AM #1
Hi, I have been playing with Friendship 729 FX on my backhand and Yinhe Mercury 2 on my forehand for about six months. On my backhand, I like cutting the ball, blocking spins, and smashing if I have the chance. I get closer to the table when I am going to cut the ball. On my forehand, I am satisfied when I spin the ball correctly or when I smash, but I have to say my control on my forehand is not as good as it is on my backhand. The 729 FX is good for cutting, but it doesn't have the power I want. I should also say that the Mercury 2 is not spinny enough. I want something that allows me to cut the ball , spin, and shoot. It should not be focused on totally aggressive or defensive gameplay. I want something like Off- if this is the correct way of describing it. One of my friends suggested two Xiom Vega Intros on a Xiom Diva blade. What do u think about this combo? Is there anything you could suggest to me? I would like to hear any opinions from experienced players. Thanks.
The formal word for "cutting" the ball is "chopping" or to a lesser externt "slicing" as used in tennis
Inverted rubber is not a chopping rubber for your backhand.
Sorry to say this to you but you are using a dumb racket
Click here for a detailed explanation as to what a dumb racket is
The main problem is that you are using the wrong rubber type on your backhand if you like to chop & block but not loop.
Inverted rubebr is primarily a looping rubber.
I use Mercury 2 on my forehand mostly but I twiddle a lot & (fake) chop on my backhand.
Though Mercury 2 is one of the spinniest rubbers(I have used it for about almost 10 years now) , it stil has lot less spin in a chop compared to my long pips (MAgic 77). MAgic 77 is a real long pips rubber that is not listed on ITTF LARC. BTW There are no long pips in ITTF table tennis. All the rubbers listed deceptively as long pips on ITTF LARC are just medium pips in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era. Long pips were banned in 1998 by the ITTF.

You want a blacking type OX (no sponge) long pips rubber. If you are afraid of ITTF and do not want to use long pips then your only choice is medium pips blocking type rubber.
Manicka Batra & all current top chop blockers uses Tibhar Dtec OX
But you can try Saviga V Special version used by one of eth best chop blockers in history, Zhou Xintong
You can alsi try Dragn Talon from Giant Dragon
There are few other inexpensive Chinese rubbers on Ali Express

All the responses to your post in TTDaily forum is wrong because it is a case of "right answer to the wrong question".
Because you should not be using inverted on your backhand if you mostly chop or block.

BTW I also used 729 FX for an year during 38 mm era. It is a nice rubber but defintely not a backhand chopping rubber.